If your baby was born with a birth injury and you suspect medical negligence or malpractice, a Law Firm can help.
The arrival of a new baby is an exhilarating time for parents. All the time and effort that goes into preparing for the new arrival is laced with support, joy, enthusiasm, stress, concern, and worry. The parents’ anticipation of the birth of their baby is a time of celebration. Their expectations of a successful delivery and healthy baby are usually met.
Unfortunately, there are cases of complicated labor and delivery resulting in a birth injury. While not all birth injuries are the result of medical malpractice or negligence, finding out the cause of the birth injury is vital.
Types of Birth Injuries
There are two major types of birth injuries.
- Cerebral palsy is the most common type of birth injury resulting in legal action. This type of birth injury is typically caused during childbirth and impairs the infant’s ability to move and maintain balance and posture. According to the Birth Injuries Resource Center, 8,000 babies and infants and 1,200 to 1,500 preschool age children are diagnosed with cerebral palsy each year.
- Erb’s palsy is another common birth injury affecting two in every 1,000 babies. This condition causes loss of movement in the arms, hands, and fingers. Fortunately, with proper therapy, most infants recover full use of their upper limbs.
- Other types of birth injuries lead to mental retardation and learning disabilities
Causes of Birth Injuries
There are many possible causes of birth injuries. The following are a few examples.
- Complicated labor and delivery
- Decreased oxygen to the baby
- Shoulder dystocia
- Abnormal presentation
- Low or excessive birth weight
- Chemical or drug exposure
Parents are usually in a state of shock when they’re told their infant has suffered a trauma. Before they have the mental or emotional resources to deal with the situation at hand, they have to make decisions about their newborn’s care. These decisions are often life altering causing additional emotional and mental anguish.
If your baby was born with a birth injury and you suspect medical negligence or malpractice, a Law Firm can help. They understand the traumatic nature of a birth injury on all levels. They know the importance of an expedient and efficient evaluation in order to determine your case.
If you live anywhere in Montana, please contact birth injury attorneys today to schedule a confidential consultation.
Receive The Highest Compensation
For Your Personal Injury Case Today
Call today and discover how a Montana personal injury lawyer can help you